If you are looking to replace a 1st-generation eero on your network with a 2nd-generation eero, it is important to consider where you’ll be placing it within your network.
Adding an eero to your network
If the eero will be added on as an access point, meaning it will be an additional eero on your network, you can unplug the 1st-generation eero (as long as it isn't your gateway eero — see below) you plan to replace and simply follow the steps in the app to add an eero. The new eero will join your network, and allow you to expand your network’s overall coverage.
Replacing your gateway
If you’ll be looking to replace your gateway eero, meaning the one connected directly to your modem, you will need to first add your second generation eero as an additional eero on your network (see the steps below). In order for a new eero to join your network, it will need to have access to it via an internet connection, so removing your current gateway from your existing setup would not make it possible.
However, since eeros can be easily swapped, this is fairly easy. Just take the following steps:
- Open the eero app
- Tap the eero button (the one displaying the number of eeros on your network).
- Tap the Add an eero option at the bottom the list
- Go through the steps to adding your new eero to your network
- Once the eero has been added, unplug your existing gateway and the 2nd generation eero (your network will temporarily go offline)
- Unplug your modem
- Connect your 2nd generation eero to your modem via Ethernet and then power on your eero and modem
- Allow the eero to boot up and come online
- It may take up to 10 minutes for your eeros to come back online as your network assigns the new gateway.
Once the new eero comes online, your network should be up and running! From there, you can use the swapped out gateway as another eero on your network, or if you won’t need it, you can reset it and give it to a friend or family member so they can get started on their own eero network.
If you have any other questions we can answer, we’re here to help! Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.