If you are looking to replace a 1st-generation eero on your network with an eero or eero pro, it is important to consider where you’ll be placing it within your network.
Adding an eero to your network
If the eero will be added on as an access point, meaning it will be an additional eero on your network, you can unplug the 1st-generation eero (as long as it isn't your gateway eero — see below) you plan to replace and simply follow the steps in the app to add an eero. The new eero will join your network, and allow you to expand your network’s overall coverage.
Replacing your gateway
If you’ll be looking to replace your gateway eero, meaning the one connected directly to your modem, you will need to first add your eero or eero Pro as an additional eero on your network (see the steps below). In order for a new eero to join your network, it will need to have access to it via an internet connection, so removing your current gateway from your existing setup would not make it possible.
However, since eeros can be easily swapped, this is fairly easy.
- Open the eero app
- Select the Home tab
- Tap on the + sign at the top right corner of the screen
- In the menu that appears, select “add an eero device.”
- Proceed by following the steps to add an eero to your network. If the app specifies a different model of eero than the one you are working with, select “Set up a different type of eero”
- Once the eero has been added, unplug your existing gateway and the new eero or eero Pro (your network will temporarily go offline)
- Unplug your modem
- Connect your eero or eero Pro to your modem via ethernet and then power on your eero and modem
- Allow the eero to boot up and come online
- It may take up to 10 minutes for your eero network to come back online as your network assigns the new gateway.
Once the new eero comes online, your network should be up and running! From there, you can use the swapped out gateway as another eero on your network, or if you won’t need it, you can reset it and give it to a friend or family member so they can get started on their own eero network.
If you have any other questions we can answer, we’re here to help! Feel free to give us a call at 1-877-659-2347 or email us.