If you have an Arris SB6183 modem and are experiencing the following issues with your eero WiFi system, you may be experiencing a bug:
- Large file downloads stall or fail
- Connection drops while streaming music and video wirelessly
Please note that a large number of customers use eero with SB6183 modems and do not experience these problems. A small subset of customers, however, have a firmware version called “SB6183-220.127.116.11-GA-03-29-NOSH” installed on their modems. If you’re experiencing issues with your eeros, it’s likely that you have this version of firmware.
Please follow these steps to verify your Arris SB6183 firmware version:
- Open any web browser on a computer connected to your SB6183 modem via Ethernet cable.
- In the address bar, type http://192.168.100.1 and then press Enter.
- You should see the SB6183 Status Connection screen along with six tabs at the top of the screen.
- Click on the "Product Information" tab.
- The firmware version is listed next to "Software Version".
We have been in contact with Arris, and they’ve confirmed that this older firmware version is associated with a handful of bugs. While Arris has fixed these issues in recent firmware updates, certain Internet Service Providers have chosen not to push firmware upgrades to all of their customers’ modems. Unfortunately, Arris and eero do not have control over the firmware versions that ISPs choose to release to their customers. If you’d like to request a firmware update for your modem, please contact your ISP.
If you’d rather invest in a new modem, we recommend the SB6141 or the SB6190. Please let us know if you have any questions.