New to eero or just curious how long it takes to get your network set up? It’ll only take a few minutes, and your life will never be the same! Trust us.
Our app will walk you through the process and do most of the heavy-lifting, but here’s a quick overview of what to expect.
Before you begin:
- In the box:
- Ethernet cable
- Power cord(s)
- What you’ll need:
- eero iOS or Android app
- A 1st or 2nd-generation eero (eero Beacons cannot be used to start a network)
- Mobile device with a data connection (If you don't have access to a data connection, see our workaround instructions here.)
- Internet service
- Cable or DSL modem (if required)*
- *Don’t know what a modem is? Unsure if you have one? Find out here.
Here is how to get started getting your eero network online:
STEP 1: Download the eero app for iOS or Android:
Download the eero app – you can find it on the Apple Store or Google Play. eero supports both iOS and Android (check here for details on the versions we support). You’ll need the app to set up your eero network. You won’t be able to set up your system on a web browser.
STEP 2: Tell us about your home
When you open the eero app for the first time, we will first ask you to tell us a bit more about your home. This allows us to make suggestions on where to place your additional eeros.
STEP 3: Create an eero account
You’ll need to enter your phone number and email address. We’ll send a verification code to your mobile phone or email address. Enter this code on the verification screen of the app to create your account.
STEP 4: Set up your eero
The eero app will guide you through setting up your gateway eero. It’s three easy steps:
- Unplug your modem. If you have other wireless equipment connected to your modem, please unplug it as well.
- Connect your eero (not eero Beacon) to your modem using the Ethernet cable. You can use either of the Ethernet ports on the back of your eero.
- Plug your eero in with the power adaptor that came in the box. Then plug your modem back into power. For placement tips, including DO's and DON'Ts, visit here.
STEP 5: Create your eero network
Now that you’ve got everything plugged in, it’s time to create your eero network.
After tapping Next, the eero app will begin to look for your eero. You will notice that your gateway eero's LED will begin to flash blue and then turn solid once found. Once your eero has been detected, you will select a name for your eero, such as its location.
- If prompted, you may need to enter your eero’s serial number, which is located on a sticker attached to the bottom of your eero. Just look for a barcode with the letters SN on it – it’s small, but it’s there.
Once you've selected a name for your eero, you will choose your network name (SSID) and network password. This is how devices will join your network.
- If you’re replacing an existing router, one easy option for choosing a network name (SSID) and password is to simply reuse your current SSID and password. This way, you won’t have to reconnect devices that were previously on the network.
- Keep in mind that running two networks with the same SSID can be problematic. If you have a modem/router combo device – a single unit, often rented from your ISP that acts as your modem and router – please be sure to enable bridge mode on that device. Need help? Give us a call and we’ll walk you through it.
Tap Next and your eero will complete setup!
STEP 6: Add eeros to your network
Once you’ve set up your gateway eero, the eero app will walk you through steps to set up additional eeros or eero Beacons on your network. eeros can be added wirelessly or by Ethernet backhaul, while eero Beacons can only be added wirelessly. If you need help with placement, we’ve got lots of tips here. It’s a great idea to familiarize yourself with these tips before getting started so that you can optimize placement throughout your home from the get-go.
Step 7: Connect devices to your eero network
One final (and important) step is to remember to connect all of your devices to your new eero network. To do this, simply find your eero network on your device, enter the network password that you’ve created, and get connected.
If you experience any trouble reconnecting specific devices to your new eero network, try disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi on the device. If that doesn’t work, try rebooting the device and then reconnecting to the network once it powers back on.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.