Being one of the most common providers in the UK, Sky has a few different configurations, all of which are compatible with eero.
Firstly, it is important to understand your Sky setup. Unlike most providers out there, Sky does not give the ability to put their modem/router device in Bridge mode. This is due to the fact that they use MER (MAC Encapsulation Routing) (IPoE) to authenticate the hardware as well as CHAP credentials. Since eero does not support this protocol, an extra step is required to optimize the performance of your network.
With that being said, here are the most common ways to set up your eero with Sky.
Setting up in Double NAT
While this sounds complicated, it's fairly simple. All you have to do is to connect your Gateway eero to the existing Sky Hub and follow the instructions in the eero app to set up the eero network.
Once this has been completed, it is important to turn off the Wi-Fi of your Sky Hub in order to avoid any unwanted interference.
Here is how to do that :
- Press the ‘Home’ button on your remote control.
- Scroll down to ‘Settings’ and DO NOT press select.
- Press ‘001’.
- Press ‘Select’
- Go to ‘Network’ and make sure to disable both the 2.4 and the 5 Ghz bands.
- Press ‘Confirm’ before exiting
Alternatively, you can try via this method:
- Make sure you're connected to your home broadband network
- Open your browser and type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar.
- When prompted enter the following:
Password: sky or, your WIFI password (case sensitive)
- Once logged in, go to Wireless and disable the wireless signal of the hub.
Setting up with eero in Bridge mode
The most simple way of setting up eero with Sky is to put the eeros After you have completed the steps above, you can choose to put your eeros in Bridge mode:
- Open the eero app and tap Settings (bottom right corner)
- Tap Advanced
- Tap DHCP & NAT
- Switch your selection from Automatic (recommended) to Bridge
- Tap the Save button in the top right corner
Here you can find the user manuals of the most common Sky equipment.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team. We are more than happy to help answer or address any concerns.