We’ve got your back(up) with eero Internet Backup
eero Internet Backup allows you to set up a nearby mobile hotspot or wifi network as a backup when your wired internet goes down. Once enabled, eero Internet Backup will look for and connect to the available and compatible backup source you’ve set, keeping you online to focus on what matters most.
With eero Internet Backup and a capable hotspot, you can enjoy video streaming, video conferencing, music streaming or online gaming even during internet outages. eero Internet Backup detects when an outage is over and automatically switches back to your original internet connection, giving you one less thing to worry about.
eero Internet Backup is available for all eero Plus subscribers and for select ISP and Ring Protect Pro customers. To use this feature, check you have the latest version of the eero app (v6.25.1) by navigating to Settings > Troubleshooting > About from the eero mobile application.
- Wireless reliability - Wirelessly connect your eero network to a backup hotspot without having to physically connect anything.
- Roam around your whole home - When you move around your home, your mobile device’s backup hotspot will connect to any nearby compatible eero device extending the backup hotspot across your whole network.
- Quickly restore internet - When the internet goes down, it’s easy to temporarily switch your eero network over to your backup source, promptly broadcasting it throughout your home—so your connected devices stay online.
- Reconnect your home - With a backup connection, your connected home devices, including security devices and smart appliances, can stay online even when internet outages occur.
- Stream on - Keep enjoying video streaming, video conferencing, music streaming, or online gaming even during network outages with capable hotpots.
- Bring your own backup - Select up to eight backup wireless connections including wireless hotspots or nearby wifi networks with no need to physically connect anything.
- Only on when needed - When the outage is over, your eero network will automatically switch back to your wired internet connection.
- Reduce hotspot strain -Choose which connected devices get wifi access to prioritize what’s most critical across your network.
How do I set up a backup network?
1. In your eero app, tap on Internet and then tap on eero Internet Backup
2. Make sure your backup network is available (if you are using a mobile hotspot, make sure it is turned on), then tap Add a backup network
3. Tap on Search networks and then tap on your backup network when it appears on the list.
4. Follow the prompts to add your password and complete setup.
5. You should now see your backup network on the main Internet Backup screen.
6. You can add up to eight backup networks by simply repeating this process.
Can I set up eero Internet Backup during an outage?
If your eero network is running minimum eeroOS v6.13.0 and your eero app is updated to minimum v6.25.1 You can still set up a new backup connection even if your network is offline due to an internet outage.
Where can I learn how to improve network performance while using eero Internet Backup, or find troubleshooting and feature compatibility information?
For tips on how to improve network performance plus troubleshooting and feature compatibility information, go here.
How long will eero Internet Backup work as a backup connection?
While eero Internet Backup can run for the duration of your outages (subject to any backup limits), customers should confirm with their service provider how much data usage is allowed if they plan to rely on eero Internet Backup for extended periods of time. eero Internet Backup will continue monitoring your primary internet source and automatically switch back when your primary internet source is available again.
Will eero Internet Backup help keep all my connected devices online? If not, how many devices can it support when enabled?
The devices already on your network will still connect to the internet with eero Internet Backup running, but coverage, speeds, and reliability will depend on the backup network you are using. To learn how to enable and disable network access for your connected devices while running eero Internet Backup, go here.
Am I able to take advantage of eero Internet Backup without an eero subscription?
eero Internet Backup is available for all eero Plus subscribers and for select ISP and Ring Protect Pro customers. eero Internet Backup is otherwise only available with an eero Plus subscription.
How does eero Internet Backup work with my Ring Alarm Pro?
If you have enabled both 24/7 Backup Internet with your Ring Protect Pro subscription, and eero Internet Backup with your eero Plus subscription, eero will default to using your Ring failover solution first, and eero Internet Backup will act as secondary failover solution if eero cannot connect to Ring 24/7 Backup Internet (e.g., because of data limitations).
eero Internet Backup requires a compatible backup internet connection in range of a compatible eero device, and an eero Plus (formerly eero Secure+) subscription, or qualifying ISP or Ring subscription, all sold separately. eero does not guarantee zero disruption and brief network downtime may occur during failover. Customer is responsible for applicable data charges with backup internet connection providers and ensuring authorized use. Network speeds are dependent on the backup provider, and coverage, uptime, technology, and speeds will vary. Will require backup power if the power goes out. Certain eero or Amazon features may be incompatible with eero Internet Backup. Visit eero.com/eero-plus for more details. Use of eero and eero Internet Backup are subject to eero’s Terms of Service and Subscription Terms of Service, found at eero.com/legal